Re: [RT] [RFC] simple SMI detector

From: Jon Masters
Date: Mon Jan 26 2009 - 12:51:26 EST

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 14:52 -0800, Mike Kravetz wrote:

> Any reason why you could not do SMI detection in user level code running
> at the highest RT priority?

Yeah. I had some suggestions about that already...the problem with that
is that you can't know whether measured latencies are due to SMIs /or/
other kernel latencies - maybe there's a bug or other problem? I really
want to be able to say to vendors "nope, it's definitely your problem".

So I think what'll end up happening is a user process for ease of
deployment but something like smi_detector for advanced diagnostics. And
then I just hope others will write tools like the one IBM already has
that will turn off extraneous SMI generation :)

Jon.