RE: [RFC] Dynamic Tick and Deferrable Timer Support

From: Hunter, Jon
Date: Mon Jan 26 2009 - 13:25:29 EST

Andrew Morton <mailto:akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:16 AM:

> Venki, could you please take a look?

Andrew, Venki, if it helps here are some more details.

The function "__next_timer_interrupt()" (in file kernel/timer.c) consists of two main loops. The first loop (shown below) looks for timer events in tv1.

898 /* Look for timer events in tv1. */
899 index = slot = timer_jiffies & TVR_MASK;
900 do {
901 list_for_each_entry(nte, base->tv1.vec + slot, entry) {
902 if (tbase_get_deferrable(nte->base))
903 continue;
904
905 found = 1;
906 expires = nte->expires;
907 /* Look at the cascade bucket(s)? */
908 if (!index || slot < index)
909 goto cascade;
910 return expires;
911 }
912 slot = (slot + 1) & TVR_MASK;
913 } while (slot != index);

You can see from the above code snippet, that if a timer event is found for tv1, then it performs a test to see if this timer event is deferrable (lines 902 and 903). If no timer events are found for tv1, then the code enters a second loop, a for-loop with a nested do-while loop, that looks for timer events in tv2-tv5.

927 for (array = 0; array < 4; array++) {
928 struct tvec *varp = varray[array];
929
930 index = slot = timer_jiffies & TVN_MASK;
931 do {
932 list_for_each_entry(nte, varp->vec + slot, entry) {
933 found = 1;
934 if (time_before(nte->expires, expires))
935 expires = nte->expires;
936 }
937 /*
938 * Do we still search for the first timer or are
939 * we looking up the cascade buckets ?
940 */
941 if (found) {
942 /* Look at the cascade bucket(s)? */
943 if (!index || slot < index)
944 break;
945 return expires;
946 }
947 slot = (slot + 1) & TVN_MASK;
948 } while (slot != index);
949
950 if (index)
951 timer_jiffies += TVN_SIZE - index;
952 timer_jiffies >>= TVN_BITS;
953 }

In the above code, you will see that if a timer event is found there is no test to see if this timer event is deferrable. The patch that I proposed simply adds two lines of code that performs the same test as seen in the tv1 loop to check if a timer is deferrable for tv2-tv5. In other words, add lines 902 and 903, in between lines 932 and 933 in the function __next_timer_interrupt().

Cheers
Jon