RE: [perfmon2] [announce] Performance Counters for Linux, v6

From: Luck, Tony
Date: Mon Jan 26 2009 - 14:39:20 EST

> - or the PMU capability is expressed as a special counter type (if it's
> useful enough) - and then either the write() method or ioctl is extended
> to express attributes we want to set/change while a counter is running.

The product of:
{exotic PMU modes} * {creative performance measurement ideas}
will produce a large number of candidates for these special counters
(at least on ia64 ... which has a large number of exotic PMU options).

I don't think that I'm qualified to judge which of them are "useful enough"
to warrant a special counter type.

-Tony