Re: [uml-devel] [Patch] uml: fix a link error

From: Al Viro
Date: Tue Jan 27 2009 - 04:23:31 EST

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 07:01:07PM -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> The problem is that the name "sigprocmask" is getting renamed to
> "kernel_sigprocmask" by a compiler directive in arch/um/Makefile, then
> that name gets mangled into "sys_kernel_sigprocmask" by the
> SYSCALL_DEFINE3(sigprocmask, ...) macro in kernel/signal.c.
>
> So, instead of the patch suggested earlier, I added the following line
> to arch/um/sys-i386/sys_call_table.S:
>
> #define sys_sigprocmask sys_kernel_sigprocmask

Interesting... Everything else aside, we have difference in e.g.
SYSCALL_DEFINE0 and SYSCALL_DEFINE3 behaviours: SYSCALL_DEFINE0(name)
will *not* do macro expansion in name and SYSCALL_DEFINE3(name, blah, ...)
will.

The reason is that we have name carried through extra layer of macros
in the latter case. Argument is *NOT* a subject to expansion when it
is used with ##; however, passing it to another macro will expand it
just fine.

Regardless of the kludge with -D used by uml, I'd say that we want consistency
here; keeping the original behaviour would also be nice.

How about
#define SYSCALL_DEFINE1(name,...) SYSCALL_DEFINEx(1, _##name, __VA_ARGS__)
etc.
with
#define SYSCALL_DEFINEx(x, name, ...) \
asmlinkage long sys##name(__SC_DECL##x(__VA_ARGS__))
?

That gives consistent behaviour in all cases and avoids the insane side
effects like this one.