Re: marching through all physical memory in software

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Jan 27 2009 - 14:00:41 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:38:13 -0600
"Chris Friesen" <cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Someone is asking me about the feasability of "scrubbing" system
memory by accessing each page and handling the ECC faults.

Hi,

I would suggest that you look at the "edac" subsystem, which tries to
do exactly this....

Looking at the current -git code, there appears to be an option for memory controllers to do this (the set_sdram_scrub_rate() routine), but there don't appear to be any controllers that can actually do it.

edac appears to currently be able to scrub the specific page where the fault occurred. This is a useful building block, but doesn't provide the ability to march through all of physical memory.

Chris