Re: Modversions and long symbol names

From: Shawn Bohrer
Date: Tue Jan 27 2009 - 18:14:43 EST

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:36:36AM -0600, Shawn Bohrer wrote:
> Currently when modversions is enabled the kernel will not load any
> modules that depend on exported symbols with names longer than
> 64 - sizeof(unsigned long) characters.
>
> This is because the struct modversion_info has the name member set to a
> size of MODULE_NAME_LEN. This is not the module name this is the symbol
> name so I'm guessing this is a mistake or at least a misused constant.
>
> Is it possible to increase this size to something more reasonable like
> 512 characters?

Hopefully everyone is back from linux.conf.au and is caught up on email
now. Is there a reason modversions imposes this small symbol name
length? Unfortunately I have modules that have longer exported symbol
names and this prevents them from loading on kernels that have
modversions enabled. Of course they load just fine when modversions is
disabled. I can't just shorten my symbol names because they are
exported and other modules are using them.

--
Shawn