Re: [BUG] mlocked page counter mismatch

From: MinChan Kim
Date: Wed Jan 28 2009 - 23:30:09 EST

Sorry for late response.

> Looks at code again....
>
> I think I see it. In try_to_unmap_anon(), called from try_to_munlock(),
> we have:
>
> list_for_each_entry(vma, &anon_vma->head, anon_vma_node) {
> if (MLOCK_PAGES && unlikely(unlock)) {
> if (!((vma->vm_flags & VM_LOCKED) &&
> !!! should be '||' ? ^^
> page_mapped_in_vma(page, vma)))
> continue; /* must visit all unlocked vmas */
> ret = SWAP_MLOCK; /* saw at least one mlocked vma */
> } else {
> ret = try_to_unmap_one(page, vma, migration);
> if (ret == SWAP_FAIL || !page_mapped(page))
> break;
> }
> if (ret == SWAP_MLOCK) {
> mlocked = try_to_mlock_page(page, vma);
> if (mlocked)
> break; /* stop if actually mlocked page */
> }
> }
>
> or that clause [under if (MLOCK_PAGES && unlikely(unlock))]
> might be clearer as:
>
> if ((vma->vm_flags & VM_LOCKED) && page_mapped_in_vma(page, vma))
> ret = SWAP_MLOCK; /* saw at least one mlocked vma */
> else
> continue; /* must visit all unlocked vmas */
>

> Do you agree?

I agree this.
This is more clear. we have to check another process's vma which is linked
by anon_vma.
We also have to check it in try_to_unmap_file.

> [...]
> >
> > root@barrios-target-linux:~# tail -8 /proc/vmstat
> > unevictable_pgs_culled 0
> > unevictable_pgs_scanned 0
> > unevictable_pgs_rescued 0
> > unevictable_pgs_mlocked 0
> > unevictable_pgs_munlocked 0
> > unevictable_pgs_cleared 0
> > unevictable_pgs_stranded 0
> > unevictable_pgs_mlockfreed 0
> >
> > root@barrios-target-linux:~# cat /proc/meminfo | egrep 'Mlo|Unev'
> > Unevictable: 0 kB
> > Mlocked: 0 kB
> >
> > after:
> > root@barrios-target-linux:~# tail -8 /proc/vmstat
> > unevictable_pgs_culled 369
> > unevictable_pgs_scanned 0
> > unevictable_pgs_rescued 388
> > unevictable_pgs_mlocked 392
> > unevictable_pgs_munlocked 387
> > unevictable_pgs_cleared 1
>
> this looks like either some task forked and COWed an anon page--perhaps
> a stack page--or truncated a mlocked, mmaped file.
>
> > unevictable_pgs_stranded 0
> > unevictable_pgs_mlockfreed 0
> >
> > root@barrios-target-linux:~# cat /proc/meminfo | egrep 'Mlo|Unev'
> > Unevictable: 8 kB
> > Mlocked: 8 kB
> >
> > after dropping cache
> >
> > root@barrios-target-linux:~# cat /proc/meminfo | egrep 'Mlo|Unev'
> > Unevictable: 4 kB
> > Mlocked: 4 kB
>
> Same effect I was seeing. Two extra mlock counts until we drop cache.
> Then only 1. Interesting.
>

> > 2) with munlockall
> >
> > barrios-target@barrios-target-linux:~$ tail -8 /proc/vmstat
> > unevictable_pgs_culled 0
> > unevictable_pgs_scanned 0
> > unevictable_pgs_rescued 0
> > unevictable_pgs_mlocked 0
> > unevictable_pgs_munlocked 0
> > unevictable_pgs_cleared 0
> > unevictable_pgs_stranded 0
> > unevictable_pgs_mlockfreed 0
> >
> > barrios-target@barrios-target-linux:~$ cat /proc/meminfo | egrep 'Mlo|Unev'
> > Unevictable: 0 kB
> > Mlocked: 0 kB
> >
> > after
> >

> > root@barrios-target-linux:~# tail -8 /proc/vmstat
> > unevictable_pgs_culled 369
> > unevictable_pgs_scanned 0
> > unevictable_pgs_rescued 389
> > unevictable_pgs_mlocked 389
> > unevictable_pgs_munlocked 389
> > unevictable_pgs_cleared 0
> > unevictable_pgs_stranded 0
> > unevictable_pgs_mlockfreed 0
> >
> > root@barrios-target-linux:~# cat /proc/meminfo | egrep 'Mlo|Unev'
> > Unevictable: 0 kB
> > Mlocked: 0 kB
> >
> > Both tests have to show same result.
> > But is didn't.
> >
> > I think it's not per-cpu problem.
> >
> > When I digged in the source, I found that.
> > In case of test without munlockall, try_to_unmap_file calls try_to_mlock_page
>
> This I don't understand. exit_mmap() calls munlock_vma_pages_all() for
> all VM_LOCKED vmas. This should have the same effect as calling
> mlock_fixup() without VM_LOCKED flags, which munlockall() does.

I said early. The difference is write of mmap_sem.
In case of exit_mmap, it have readlock of mmap_sem.
but In case of munlockall, it have writelock of mmap_sem.
so try_to_mlock_page will fail down_read_trylock.

> > since some pages are mapped several vmas(I don't know why that pages is shared
> > other vma in same process.
>
> Isn't necessarily in the same task. We're traversing the list of vma's
> associated with a single anon_vma. This includes all ancestors and
> descendants that haven't exec'd. Of course, I don't see a fork() in
> either of your test programs, so I don't know what's happening.

I agree. we have to traverse list of vma's.
In my case, my test program's image's first page is mapped two vma.
one is code vma. the other is data vma. I don't know why code and data vmas
include program's first page.

> > One of page which i have seen is test program's
> > first code page[page->index : 0 vma->vm_pgoff : 0]. It was mapped by data vma, too).
> > Other vma have VM_LOCKED.
> > So try_to_unmap_file calls try_to_mlock_page. Then, After calling
> > successful down_read_try_lock call, mlock_vma_page increased mlocked
> > counter again.
> >
> > In case of test with munlockall, try_to_mlock_page's down_read_trylock
> > couldn't be sucessful. That's because munlockall called down_write.
> > At result, try_to_mlock_page cannot call try_to_mlock_page. so, mlocked counter
> > don't increased. I think it's not right.
> > But fortunately Mlocked number is right. :(
>

> I'll try with your 2nd test program [sent via separate mail] and try the
> fix above. I also want to understand the difference between exit_mmap()
> for a task that called mlockall() and the munlockall() case.

Thanks for having an interest in this problem. :)

--
Kinds Regards
MinChan Kim