Re: [patch 1/2] epoll fix own poll()

From: Davide Libenzi
Date: Thu Jan 29 2009 - 13:43:51 EST

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Andrew Morton wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:32:38 -0800 (PST) Davide Libenzi <davidel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > > But which kernel version are you looking to get this merged into?
> >
> > The limit reworking one, ASAP. The epoll poll fix, dunno.
> > I'd like to see it staged in your tree for a bit. How much timeframe
> > difference are we looking at, from .29 to .30?
>
> The usual - 2.5 months(ish)
>
> What is the impact of the bug which this patch fixes?

I think we can move the poll-fix (and definitely the debug-nuke-fix) to .30.
The bug happens when you add an epoll fd inside another wait container
(epoll, poll, select). You may get a wakeup, to only find out later that
epoll_wait() has no event for you. The bug has been there since day-1, and
it has only recently been noticed.
Since it is quite some coe change, I'd like it to stage in your toxic tree
for a while :)

- Davide