Re: Creating the RT git tree

From: Jon Masters
Date: Thu Jan 29 2009 - 16:06:58 EST

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 17:36 -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> This email is an explanation on how the RT git tree is created. Note, the
> tree is still in a "broken" state. But it now compiles!

Yay! I didn't spend enough time on this yet...but I'm poking at the
threadirqs branch at the moment. Some things I figured out:

*). The branches all seem to be remote. So you want to do something
like:

git checkout -b threadirqs origin/rt/threadirqs

(I guess on your box they're not referenced relative to origin :P)

*). I might not be the best git user on the planet (trying to fix that)
but I would really like to just see the patches that are specific to a
given topic branch, without the merge noise. For example, a git log on
the threadirqs branch shows me all the other patches in linus' tree as
merges are done. I could do a git log --grep="threadirqs" but is there a
better way? How do I instruct git to show me just the patches added
specifically in threadirqs?

Otherwise, looks cool. I've got a few machines I'd love to setup for
testing of the RT tree at home - if it's useful I have a 32-bit
Powerbook and a 64-bit IBM OpenPOWER (POWER5) that you might not
currently be doing build tests on?

I think I'll work on upstreamable threadirqs via my own branch of linus
rather than the RT tree - this should be pretty independent of RT for
now.

Jon.