Re: 2.6.28 headers break kbd and net-tools userspace builds

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Thu Jan 29 2009 - 23:13:05 EST

On Wednesday 2009-01-28 21:29, David Miller wrote:
>> On Tuesday 2009-01-27 06:08, David Miller wrote:
>> >The fly in the ointment is linux/if_tunnel.h
>> >
>> >We export a structure there for a userland interface which
>> >uses "struct iphdr".
>> >
>> >Because of that, we are faced with the difficult choice between
>> >defining the structure (as we do) in linux/ip.h or using some ugly
>> >__KERNEL__ ifdefs in linux/if_tunnel.h to conditionally include
>> >netinet/ip.h instead. :-/
>> >
>> >Really, I have no idea what to do about this as the problem has
>> >existed for so long.
>>
>> I think in the long term, exported structs should probably
>> have a "kernel_" prefix, much like userspace libraries use
>> such prefixes to (try to) guard against simple name clashes.
>
>This is a reasonable rule for future interfaces, but won't
>help us here on this one.[...]
>Really, we page a huge price these days because the relationship
>between glibc's and the kernel's userland header exports in the
>past has been anti-social at best.

Yeah I just had to notice >:-(

IPPROTO_MH is only defined in linux/in6.h, but inclusion of it:

/usr/include/linux/in6.h:31: error: redefinition of âstruct in6_addrâ
/usr/include/linux/in6.h:52: error: redefinition of âstruct sockaddr_in6â
/usr/include/linux/in6.h:60: error: redefinition of âstruct ipv6_mreqâ

Ick. That's even worse than tunnels.