Re: 2.6.29-rc3: tg3 dead after resume

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jan 30 2009 - 20:46:23 EST

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Parag Warudkar wrote:

> Excellent! This patch works - tg3 comes back and gets link after resume.

I still think the patch isn't very good. See my previous email.

The fact that your machine works again is good, though. But before we let
this lie, I'd _really_ like to know what was broken in the legacy PM path,
rather than "let's leave it behind". Because a broken legacy path will end
up biting us for other drivers, and I think the new PM path will need more
work before it's ready for prime-time.

> Are the below differences worth worrying about - especially since post
> suspend some DevID/VendorID and some capabilities seem to be changed?

That's not a devid/vendorid, it's an extended "subsystem" capability that
we didn't save. We could try to save/restore all capabilities, but right
now we only do the ones we care about (pcie/pcix/msi, iirc).

I do suspect we might be better off saving everything we can, rather than
deciding piece-meal to save specific capabilities we know about.

Linus