Re: [git pull -tip] headers_check fixes for other architectures

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat Jan 31 2009 - 11:45:32 EST

* Jaswinder Singh Rajput <jaswinder@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> These are clean patches, I did not included anything which leads to any
> confusion or conflicts. I hope maintainers do not mind if these patches
> go to mainstream via Ingo's -tip along with other headers_check fixes.
>
> Ingo please pull:
> The following changes since commit 83c21698257b3bbd96926480b26eaffb5a8c3946:
> Ingo Molnar (1):
> Merge branch 'x86/apic'
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jaswinder/linux-2.6-tip.git master

looks good, but could you please do this like you did the previous one:
i.e. against your previous tree which was against Linus's tree?

The tree you did above includes a ton of other in-work trees that are in
-tip, which orders your fixes to after those trees - i.e. to somewhere in
the late 2.6.30 merge cycle.

So it's better to keep these separate. You can do this by basing your tree
on tip:core/header-fixes:

git checkout -b my-new-tree tip/core/header-fixes

That will give you a base of your previous tree (in a Git friendly way),
plus Sam's fix.

Then you can git-cherry-pick all your new commits into that new tree, and
send a pull request if you are happy with it. Likewise, you can probably
achieve the same (with a lot less work) by doing this in your master
branch above:

git rebase --onto tip/core/header-fixes tip/master

(this assumes you have -tip set up as a remote repository.)

Ingo