Re: PCI PM: Restore standard config registers of all devices early

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Mon Feb 02 2009 - 16:08:15 EST

> I suspect that we could possibly make ACPI happy by actually leaving
> interrupts "enabled" in the suspend-late (and early-resume) paths, but
> with all hardware interrupts actually turned off. But that's really just a
> "let's fool people by turning off interrupts a different way" thing - it
> in no way really changes any fundamental issues.

Well, it might be the right approach ... for the simple reason that ACPI
doesn't -really- need external interrupts off ... it's a side effect of
the interpreter using mutexes etc...

So maybe indeed we should look into doing something like that, in fact,
I quite like it:

* suspend:

- suspend devices with IRQs on
- suspend PICs (ie, mask all interrupts). the main kernel clock
source should be kept running tho
- do the device suspend "late" thing involving ACPI etc..

* resume:

the other way around.

Do we still need a real suspend "late" with hard IRQs off in that
scenario ?

Granted, because we are still effectively scheduling etc... we might
have the driver being hit by requests etc... so the suspend_late in the
above setup loses the property of being shielded against that...

> Whether you use "disable_irq() over all interrupts" or "local_irq_save ->
> local_irq_restore" really doesn't change anything. You cannot do this in a
> single phase, because that means that you randomly disable interrupts too
> early (or enable them too late) when drivers still _require_ them.

Well, sort-of. IE. local_irq_save() vs. disable_irq() has a relevant
difference in our context ... the ability to use mutexes, msleep, etc...
which may allow ACPI to operate.

I don't care about ACPI on powerpc, so I'm happy hooking the gating with
irqs off ... but the existing hook isn't in the right place imho.

> Quite frankly, I don't think the second one is workable. It may be the
> optimal one in theory, but it's never worked for us in practice.

True, it's going to be a pain. However, I still think you're going to
be bitten somewhere if you whack config space back before you called
the appropriate ACPI magic to resume the device, but I may be wrong,
maybe nobody will ever implement really aggressive power management
in their AML ? :-)

Cheers,
Ben.