Re: PCI PM: Restore standard config registers of all devices early

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Feb 02 2009 - 17:16:37 EST

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> I think it would be easier to make ACPI allow us to run AML with interrupts
> off.

Well, I'd agree, except I have this strong memory of us having known bugs
with ACPI turning hard-interrupts on again. Similarly, it uses mutexes etc
that simply don't work with interrupts off and/or may turn them on again
thanks to scheduling.

"Fixing" that seems not very easy. ACPI has a bad habit of being _really_
hard to fix in this area.

I do agree that _if_ we can just fix ACPI, we wouldn't have these issues,
and we should just call it with interrupts disabled with our existing
code. But my previous email was a "maybe we can do it like this" kind of
thing, which might allow us to use ACPI with none of the irq-off issues.

Linus