Re: [APIC] Kernel panic, rsync corruption, intel q8200, 2.6.28-rc8

From: Sam Ruby
Date: Tue Feb 03 2009 - 22:28:24 EST

Thomas Gleixner wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Andrew Morton wrote:
[ 0.296001] ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
[ 0.296001] Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work!
Sigh.

Not sure. Perhaps platform_i386/platform_x86_64 would be correct.
Can the x86 maintainers please advise?

Yup. That's correct

@Sam: I just checked, that your machine has a serial port. That's a
good start :)

Do you have a second computer around with a serial port ? If yes, then
please add the following to the kernel command line:

earlyprintk=serial,ttyS0,115200 apic=debug

and connect the serial ports with a null modem cable. Fire up a
terminal program on the second machine and capture the output.

I do have a second computer, and went out and bought a null modem adapter for my serial cable and connected the two machines. I've tried installing minicom and also connecting it to ttyS0 at 115200 baud on the second machine, but when I boot the first machine I don't see any output on the terminal.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

tglx

- Sam Ruby