Re: 2.6.29-rc3-git6: Reported regressions from 2.6.28

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Feb 05 2009 - 14:21:28 EST

* Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > * Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I tried what you had described in that email (from 2 weeks ago), got the
> >> same results that you did, but kbuild does seem very confused (to me).
> >>
> >> reference email from 2+ weeks ago:
> >> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123197341316461&w=2
> >>
> >> Adding Sam to cc.
> >
> > Check the patch i posted in this thread earlier today, it solves this
> > problem.
>
> I saw it. I'd rather kconfig be fixed instead, if possible.

kconfig was not broken at all in this case. It detected a circular
dependency and did its work well.

( kconfig is broken in some areas - for example its misfeature of not
propagating selects along dependency chains is annoying. It should at
minimum warn when it sees such partial selects. But this is not one of
those breakages. )

Ingo