Re: pud_bad vs pud_bad

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Thu Feb 05 2009 - 14:27:15 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
But the 32-bit check does the exact same thing but via a single binary operation: it checks whether any bits outside of those bits are zero - just via a simpler test that compiles to more compact code.

So i'd go with the 32-bit version. (unless there are some sign-extension complications i'm missing - but i think we got rid of those already.)

OK, fair enough. I wouldn't be surprised if gcc does that transform anyway, but we may as well be consistent about it.