Re: Build failure with latest -git: btrfs on ppc64

From: Chris Mason
Date: Mon Feb 09 2009 - 16:37:21 EST

On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 15:50 -0500, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> fs/btrfs/locking.c: In function 'btrfs_path_lock_waiting':
> fs/btrfs/locking.c:254: error: implicit declaration of function '__raw_spin_is_contended'
>
> Looks like spin_is_contended() is only available on mips and x86??

Btrfs was using spin_is_contended to decide if it should drop locks
before doing an expensive operation during the core btree search. After
a few latency tests here, I think it makes more sense to always drop
them instead.

Linus, if you pull from:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mason/btrfs-unstable.git

You'll get the build fix for btrfs on arches without ticket spinlocks

fs/btrfs/ctree.c | 3 +--
fs/btrfs/locking.c | 22 ----------------------
fs/btrfs/locking.h | 2 --
3 files changed, 1 insertion(+), 26 deletions(-)

-chris