man-pages-3.18 is released

From: Michael Kerrisk
Date: Tue Feb 10 2009 - 20:36:22 EST

Gidday,

I've happy to announce

man-pages-3.18.tar.gz - man pages for Linux,

my hundredth release since I took over maintainership in 2004.

This release is now available for download at:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/man-pages
or ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/man-pages

man-pages nowadays also has a public git repository at

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git

The online changelog is available at
http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/changelog.html
(blogged at
http://linux-man-pages.blogspot.com/2009/02/man-pages-318-is-released.html)
and the current version of the pages is browsable at
http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/
An abridged list of changes that may be of interest to readers of this
list is given below.

Cheers,

Michael

==================== Changes in man-pages-3.18 ====================

New and rewritten pages
-----------------------

armscii-8.7
Lefteris Dimitroulakis
New page documenting ArmSCII-8 character set

iso_8859-11.7
Lefteris Dimitroulakis
New page documenting ISO 8859-11 character set

iso_8859-4.7
Lefteris Dimitroulakis
New page documenting ISO 8859-4 character set

iso_8859-6.7
Lefteris Dimitroulakis
New page describing ISO 8859-6 character set

pthread_kill.3
Michael Kerrisk
New page documenting pthread_kill(3)

pthread_kill_other_threads_np.3
Michael Kerrisk
New page documenting pthread_kill_other_threads_np(3)

pthread_sigmask.3
Michael Kerrisk
New page documenting pthread_sigmask(3)

Newly documented interfaces in existing pages

clock_getres.3
Michael Kerrisk
Document CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW, new in 2.6.28

Changes to individual pages
---------------------------

capget.2
Andi Kleen
Add some details and relocate a paragraph
While writing a little program using capset
I found the capset manpage quite light on crucial
details and I had to resort to RTFS.

This patch improves the points I found unclear
and also moves one misplaced paragraph around.

select_tut.2
Michael Kerrisk
Clean up error checking in example program (no semantic changes)
Michael Kerrisk
Many parts tidied and rewritten
Remove some redundant text, clarify various pieces,
tidy example code, etc.
Michael Kerrisk
Bug fixes + rewrites in example program
Sebastien pointed out that the first example program
wrongly thinks it can count signals.
Also, some further rewrites by mtk.

epoll.7
Michael Kerrisk
remove documentation of /proc/sys/fs/epoll/max_user_instances
This /proc interface appeared in 2.6.28. but will be
removed in 2.6.29.

Also, document change in default value of
/proc/sys/fs/epoll/max_user_watches (was 1/32 of lowmem,
now 1/25 of lowmem).

standards.7
Michael Kerrisk
Update to note that latest POSIX/SUS was ratified in 2008