[BUG] SNAT sometimes allows packets to pass through unchanged

From: Alan Stern
Date: Wed Feb 11 2009 - 12:37:40 EST

I'm seeing some strange behavior on my firewall, which is running
Fedora 8's version of 2.6.26. Every so often a packet with a private
source address is sent out the public interface unchanged, when it
should be dropped.

This happens when internal hosts are slow to close their end of a TCP
connection. For example:

Internal host A (using a private address) initiates a TCP
connection to an external server B.

Data is sent back and forth.

External host B sends a FIN and host A responds with ACK.

Several minutes later (after the tracking for this connection
has expired), host A sends a FIN to host B. This packet
goes through the firewall unchanged and is sent out the
public interface with the private source address intact.

Now I would expect that such packets would be dropped, because they
don't belong to an existing connection and they can't be the start of a
new connection. The fact that this doesn't happen indicates there is a
bug in the netfilter code somewhere.

For reference, here is a lightly-edited extract from my iptables
script on the firewall:

# Use SNAT for new outgoing connections from private addresses.
OUTIP=... # The IP address of the firewall's public interface, eth1
iptables -t nat -N startnat
iptables -t nat -A startnat -p tcp -j SNAT --to-source $OUTIP:7000-65500
iptables -t nat -A startnat -p udp -j SNAT --to-source $OUTIP:7000-65500
iptables -t nat -A startnat -p icmp -j SNAT --to-source $OUTIP
iptables -t nat -A startnat -j DROP

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -s 10.0.0.0/8 -j startnat