Re: git-send-email

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Thu Feb 12 2009 - 17:17:25 EST

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 14:21 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 06:25:34PM +0100, Ingo Oeser wrote:
> > No, they are great, if you like to skip over a topic, you are not
> > interested in at all!
> >
> > If you don't like it, just switch off thread in your mailer and
> > don't force this on everybody else!
>
> Actually if (as apparently many people seem to manage to do) you have a
> single starting email, with all the patches as replies to that first
> email, it looks a lot better, and is much easier to follow.
>
> Seperate threads would be bad.
>
> foobar patch 0 (usually a summary/overview)
> +-foobar patch 1
> +-foobar patch 2
> +-foobar patch 3
> +-foobar patch 4
> +-foobar patch 5
>
> is much nicer than
>
> foobar patch 0
> +-foobar patch 1
> +-foobar patch 2
> +-foobar patch 3
> +-foobar patch 4
> +-foobar patch 5
>
> which seems to be what git does itself.

Which happens to be exactly what my suggestion would accomplish.

--[no-]chain-reply-to

If this is set, each email will be sent as a reply to the
previous email sent. If disabled with "--no-chain-reply-to", all
emails after the first will be sent as replies to the first
email sent. When using this, it is recommended that the first
file given be an overview of the entire patch series. Default is
the value of the sendemail.chainreplyto configuration value; if
that is unspecified, default to --chain-reply-to.