RFC: install firmware in a kernel-dependent directory

From: Michael Riepe
Date: Sat Feb 14 2009 - 07:25:46 EST

Currently, make firmware_install puts all firmware blobs in
/lib/firmware. If you have several kernel versions installed, they will
overwrite each other's files, which may lead to problems if the blobs
eventually change. I think it would be better to use a separate
directory for every kernel version, like /lib/firmware/$(uname -r) or
/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/firmware (the latter is my favorite).

In either case, only a minimal modification in /lib/udev/firmware.sh is
required to make it look in the new directory first.

Comments?
--
Michael "Tired" Riepe <michael.riepe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>