Re: RFC: install firmware in a kernel-dependent directory

From: Michael Riepe
Date: Sat Feb 14 2009 - 15:00:46 EST

Hi!

Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:

> firmware version depends on hardware version not by kernel (software) version.

That means that it shouldn't be delivered with the kernel in the first
place, right? Neither built in nor as a separate file. Maybe that's an
even better solution: distribute it separately.

Which firmware to use is a matter of policy, in my opinion. I may want
to use a modified firmware, for example, and put that into /lib/firmware
where it belongs. But each time I install a new kernel, it will be
replaced with the standard version.

--
Michael "Tired" Riepe <michael.riepe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>