Re: RFC: install firmware in a kernel-dependent directory

From: david
Date: Sat Feb 14 2009 - 16:07:45 EST

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009, Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Michael Riepe
<michael.riepe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Currently, make firmware_install puts all firmware blobs in
/lib/firmware. If you have several kernel versions installed, they will
overwrite each other's files, which may lead to problems if the blobs
eventually change. I think it would be better to use a separate
directory for every kernel version, like /lib/firmware/$(uname -r) or
/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/firmware (the latter is my favorite).

In either case, only a minimal modification in /lib/udev/firmware.sh is
required to make it look in the new directory first.

Comments?

firmware version depends on hardware version not by kernel (software) version.

are you sure? different firmware could have different interfaces for the kernel to use.

I don't know if this is a problem in practice (I think I've heard of this), but there is no reason it couldn't be.

David Lang

So /lib/firmware is absolutely OK.

--
JSR