Re: EXT4 ENOSPC Bug

From: Alex Buell
Date: Tue Feb 17 2009 - 12:21:45 EST

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:00:01 -0500, I waved a wand and this message
magically appears in front of Theodore Tso:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:27:03PM +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
> >
> > So, yes, seems to be an inode allocation problem.
>
> Andres, Alex, others,
>
> I'm pretty sure the ENOSPC problem which you both found is an inode
> allocation problem. Some of you seem to have an easier time
> reproducing it than others; could you try this patch, and periodically
> scan your system logs for the message "ext4: find_group_flex failed,
> fallback succeeded"? If the problem goes away for you, and you find
> the occasional aforemention message in your system log, that will
> confirm what I suspect, which is the bug is in fs/ext4/inode.c's
> find_group_flex() function. (If I'm wrong, the fallback code will
> activate only when the filesystem is genuinely out of inodes, which
> should be very rare.)

OK, I had to go look through the archives on linux-ext4 mailing list to
see what the context was. For myself, this used to happen at least once
a week with 2.6.26, and less frequently with 2.6.27. I think that 2.6.28
with your patch should get rid of that problem altogether. I will of
course get in touch should I see any more of these find_group_flex
failures as that would mean your patch worked.

Thanks for your work on tracking this one down!
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

Fearsome grindings.