Re: EXT4 ENOSPC Bug

From: Andres Freund
Date: Tue Feb 17 2009 - 12:36:39 EST

On 02/16/2009 08:00 PM, Theodore Tso wrote:
On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:27:03PM +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
So, yes, seems to be an inode allocation problem.

I'm pretty sure the ENOSPC problem which you both found is an inode
allocation problem. Some of you seem to have an easier time
reproducing it than others; could you try this patch, and periodically
scan your system logs for the message "ext4: find_group_flex failed,
fallback succeeded"? If the problem goes away for you, and you find
the occasional aforemention message in your system log, that will
confirm what I suspect, which is the bug is in fs/ext4/inode.c's
find_group_flex() function. (If I'm wrong, the fallback code will
activate only when the filesystem is genuinely out of inodes, which
should be very rare.)

More comments are in the patch header. My current long-term plan for
dealing with this is to enhance find_group_orlov() to and
find_group_other() to understand about flex_bg's.
Ok. I am now running with the patch enabled on two machines - but as the issue occured only 2 times in nearly 2 months on two machines...

Andres