Re: 2.6.29 regression? Bonding tied to IPV6 in 29-rc5

From: Chuck Lever
Date: Wed Feb 18 2009 - 11:25:43 EST

On Feb 18, 2009, at Feb 18, 2009, 8:55 AM, Theodore Tso wrote:
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 09:29:19PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
Next, if it's just an issue of IPV6 traffic, install a packet
scheduler rule that rejects all packets with ethernet proto
ETH_P_IPV6

If openning up ipv6 sockets is problematic, that can be blocked
using the security layer, which your super-duper distro kernel
is guarenteed to have enabled. :-)

I'm sure there is someone who has legacy problems with ipv4
and that can't be disabled, and somehow people cope. Amazing.

Here's another "me too".

Kernel RPC support also has this problem. We hit it just a couple of weeks ago now that we have IPv6 enabled NFS in prototype. If PF_INET6 listener creation fails (eg. because ipv6.ko is blacklisted), our workaround right now is to retry the listener socket creation with PF_INET. There are plenty of somewhat rare corner cases that make this less than ideal.

The reality is that there are far more people who have legacy problems
with ipv6 than ipv4 (which has been around and in active use for about
3 decades, after all), whereas ipv6 has been around and largely
ignored for about a decade. :-/

I'll admit that I ran into some wierd sh*t problems with some open
source software or another failing mysteriously when IPv6 was enabled,
and I dealt with it by simply disabling IPv6 (yeah, I blocked the
module). I was in a hurry, and it just didn't work, and I had better
thing to do than to spend time trying to debug why the presense of an
IPv6 enabled interface caused programs to misbehave in random ways.

I think I can pretty much guarantee that distro users will be
clamoring for a quick and easy way to block ipv6, and it's in our
interest to document the recomended way to block it that doesn't cause
weird problems with bonding, etc.

A better solution would be to design kernel and user space networking to handle this use case, instead of providing a workaround. From the variety of comments I've heard, this use case is pretty common.

Considering the government mandates requiring IPv6 support (and the advertisements by Linux vendors claiming IPv6 support), IPv6 needs to become a first-class citizen in Linux in fairly short order. It still feels a little piecemeal to me to be called "production ready."

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com