Re: [patch] SLQB slab allocator (try 2)

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Thu Feb 19 2009 - 04:16:23 EST

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 09:48 +0900, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
> > > In addition, if pekka patch (SLAB_LIMIT = 8K) run on ia64, 16K allocation
> > > always fallback to page allocator and using 64K (4 times memory consumption!).
> >
> > Yes, correct, but SLUB does that already by passing all allocations over
> > 4K to the page allocator.
>
> hmhm
> OK. my mail was pointless.
>
> but why? In my understanding, slab framework mainly exist for efficient
> sub-page allocation.
> the fallbacking of 4K allocation in 64K page-sized architecture seems
> inefficient.

I don't think any of the slab allocators are known for memory
efficiency. That said, the original patch description sums up the
rationale for page allocator pass-through:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=aadb4bc4a1f9108c1d0fbd121827c936c2ed4217

Interesting enough, there seems to be some performance gain from it as
well as seen by Mel Gorman's recent slab allocator benchmarks.

Pekka