Re: Definition of BUG on x86

From: Petr Tesarik
Date: Thu Feb 19 2009 - 08:02:29 EST

Ingo Molnar pÃÅe v Ät 19. 02. 2009 v 13:47 +0100:
> * Petr Tesarik <ptesarik@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > No, i'm not talking about the inline assembly.
> > >
> > > I'm talking about the x86_u2d() _inline function_, which has
> > > the __noreturn attribute.
> > >
> > > Shouldnt that be enough to tell the compiler that it ... wont
> > > return?
> >
> > Nope, that's not how it works.
> >
> > You _may_ specify a noreturn attribute to any function (and
> > GCC will honour it AFAICS), but if GCC _thinks_ that the
> > function does return, it will issue the above-mentioned
> > warning:
> >
> > /usr/src/linux-2.6/arch/x86/include/asm/bug.h:10: warning: 'noreturn' function does return
> >
> > And that's what your function will do. :-(
> >
> > Yes, I also thinks that this behaviour is counter-intuitive.
> > Besides, I haven't found a gcc switch to turn this warning
> > off, which would be my next recommendation, since the GCC
> > heuristics is broken, of course.
>
> so GCC should be fixed and improved here, on several levels.

Agree.

But it takes some time, even if we start pushing right now. What's your
suggestion for the meantime? Keep the dummy jmp? And in case anybody is
concerned about saving every byte in the text section, they can apply my
dirty patch?

Actually, this doesn't sound too bad.

Petr Tesarik