Re: [RFD] Automatic suspend

From: Alan Stern
Date: Thu Feb 19 2009 - 10:00:04 EST

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Isn't it a matter of adjusting the inactivity timeouts in a suitable way?
> >
> > It's not that simple. A single device driver has a very local view,
> > not suitable for deciding whether the entire system should go to sleep.
> >
> > So for example, a disk driver might think it's appropriate to spin down
> > the disk after 10 seconds of inactivity. But an overall system monitor
> > might realize that nothing is going on right now and want to put the
> > system to sleep immediately, without waiting the 10 seconds for the
> > disk to autosuspend.
>
> Now, the question is what criteria would the overall system monitor use to make
> such a decision.

> > > Well, actually, shouldn't it prevent suspend from happening? Arguably, it just
> > > means that the disk is continuously being accessed with respect to the inactive
> > > timeout granularity.
> >
> > That's true, but it shows the problem of making the autosleep decision
> > based on disk activity. An auto-sleep should not have to wait for
> > every device (or some suitable subset) to become idle for some minimum
> > time; it should be able to kick in at short notice.
>
> Again, the decision to trigger automatic suspend has to be based on some
> well defined criteria and the (in)activity of devices seems to be one of them.

I don't know what criteria the system monitor would use. It might have
to be platform-specific. The Android people seem to have a pretty good
idea of what criteria will work for them.

Inactivity of devices isn't always a good criterion. There might be a
background task which wakes up every few seconds to do something as
long as the system is awake, thereby keeping some device always active.
The activity from this background task shouldn't prevent an auto-sleep.

Alan Stern