Re: [gentoo-amd64] Is /proc/cpuinfo showing the actual frequency?

From: Thanasis
Date: Thu Feb 19 2009 - 14:05:48 EST

on 02/19/2009 07:46 PM Paul Hartman wrote the following:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Justin <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Thanasis schrieb:

>>> Yes, but the /proc/cpuinfo I showed, was with the max frequency ever
>>> displayed (under load).
>>>
>> AFAIK the scaling will interfere with OC. Try to disable it and check
>> again.
>
> I just did some googling and it seems that frequency scaling in linux
> only works with the stock speed steps, not the OC'ed speed.

I bet if I disable frequency scaling from BIOS, it will show 4GHz, because the
funny thing is that inside a fully VM (guest) it shows the "real" frequency ;-)

# cat cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 23
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 4050.236
cache size : 6144 KB
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
clflush dts mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx lm pni ds_cpl cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips : 8111.05
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 23
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 4050.236
cache size : 6144 KB
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
clflush dts mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx lm pni ds_cpl cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips : 8101.80
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: