suggest make standard list of CR/LF prefs that apps can read for portability

From: Nick Levinson
Date: Thu Feb 19 2009 - 21:56:28 EST

Battling between Windows Notepad, Linux gedit, and OpenOffice.org conventions on how paragraphs are separated in text files using CR and LF characters, I'd like the ability to set a preference the same way I'd set one for currency or daylight savings time. A user wouldn't have to pick, but if a user does all applications could agree with it.

It would be up to each application designer to comply or not. Noncompliant apps should not break.

Among the options: whatever the application normally sets if I have no preference, CR alone, LF alone, CR+LF, and LF+CR. It might be nice if among the options was one to simply choose that in a well-known stable application, such as one of those above. Each user could have their own pref. And an app could override it.

Thanx.

--
Nick