RE: Unable to write dvd+r on 3 systems

From: Richard Jonsson
Date: Sun Feb 22 2009 - 05:22:39 EST

> Is anything stupid like gnome volume manager or hal or something regularly
> poking at the drive to detect discs?

They are present on system1, but not the other two. How can I determine if
they interfere?

> Are you using 80conductor IDE cables (for those drives that are IDE)?
> I have had some DVD writers fail in odd ways when using 40conductor
> cables.

Yes.

Running "dd if=/dev/dvd of=/dev/null" on a burned disc reports read
error at or around the block where the speed jumps from 2.4x> 4.0x or
from 4.0x> 6.0x.
I had logs for this, but misplaced them =/. Also when jumping to
the next higher speed there is a dip where growisofs reports 0x burn
speed, is that normal?