Re: New filesystem for Linux kernel

From: Tarkan Erimer
Date: Tue Feb 24 2009 - 08:46:16 EST

hooanon05@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Miklos Szeredi:
I think the biggest problem is too many features.

> git diff master...aufs2 | diffstat
^^^^^^
This is an unreviewable amount of code, it would make AUFS one of the
biggest filesystems on linux.

The first step would be to separate out the very core functionality,
which should be a couple thousands of lines max. And when that has
been accepted and stabilised, then you can start adding fancy
features.

I have to admit aufs is big, but actually, as I wrote in the documents,
aufs2 has already dropped several features. And I believe it is the core
feature set. If aufs2 drops some more features, then both of users and
reviewers will say it doesn't work in this case, in that case. I don't
think you would like to review such unusable code in real world.
For those who wants to begin with aufs2 principle (or basic
architecture), I described and posted these documents.

I think there is a misunderstanding or confusion about merging the code into the mainline. You needn't to drop some functionality/features to make your code small and to make it reviewed by mergers. You have to separate (Core FS functions, features etc.) your code into small pieces. So that, mergers will look, for first, your core FS functionality code to see that it *_breaks_* or *_touches_* any _*other areas of the kernel*_. If everything goes well, your main Core FS functionality code will be merged into the mainline. After that, you can send your feature/functionality codes one by one.