Re: PROBLEM: cannot get stable system since 2.6.28 kernel (amd64)

From: Philippe Grenard
Date: Tue Feb 24 2009 - 15:00:39 EST

On Sunday 22 February 2009 04:29:23 H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Philippe Grenard wrote:

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Note that the workaround for that BIOS bug is already in the
> >> latest upstream kernel, i.e. in 2.6.29-rc5.
> >>
> >> Could you please try -rc5, whether it works out of box?
> >>
> >> If you still see freezes, could you try the "nofxsr" boot
> >> option? That will turn off the new FPU code both in the hw and
> >> in the kernel.
> >>
> >> Ingo
> >
> > Hello Ingo, thanks for your reply,
> >
> > I've tried to boot 2.6.29-rc5 with both "Max CPUID Value" Enabled and
> > Disabled, and tried for both case the "nofxsr" option without better
> > result...
> >
> > As I said before, I use the default dsdt table : can this be a problem
> > too ?
>
> OK, this is a completely different problem then. Any way you could do a
> "git bisect" to track down the exact place where this broke?
>
> -hpa

Ok, so I have news for my problem!
After trying a minimalist config file which gave me a working system, I tried to
add some missing features such as ACPI, and so on.

I finally have reduced the problem to this :
with
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=m
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=m
as the sole difference, the kernel *without* these 2 modules will run with no
problem at all, but when enabled, the kernel will freeze just after boot.

I would gladly try to bisect this since this works with 2.6.27.
The problem is that I had some other problem which prevented me to boot 2.6.28
(even if this other problem has been identified now) so I would maybe need to
patch some files to get working kernel to bisect this new ACPI problem, but
that is far from my limited knowledge.... I would need some hints for this...

Should I maybe open a new thread for this issue? does this problem has already
been known ?

I also use to "reply all". Please tell me if this is a bother.

Philippe