Re: ATA support for 4k sector size

From: Martin K. Petersen
Date: Wed Feb 25 2009 - 19:08:26 EST

hpa> Martin K. Petersen wrote:

>> Modern Windows aligns the first partition on a 1 MB boundary.
>>
>> As far as disks go, initially the plan was to have "legacy" branded
>> drives with 63-sector alignment. But I think that has been abandoned
>> in favor of instant one-time formatting. I.e. you can pick your
>> poison *once* and that formatting will be done in constant time. Any
>> subsequent changes to blocking and alignment will require a real
>> low-level format.

hpa> Why one-time?

It's a compromise to avoid hours of low-level formatting before you can
use a drive. New drives will come from the factory formatted in a
special way that can be switched instantaneously. But once you start
writing you're stuck with it.

--
Martin K. Petersen Oracle Linux Engineering