Re: [patch 5/7] make netfilter use strict integer types

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Feb 25 2009 - 19:21:27 EST

Jan Engelhardt wrote:

I _strongly disagree_ with this move. Userspace also has the uintX
types via <stdint.h>/<cstdint>, and now you are adding a dependency
on linux/types.h, not to mention that your step can lead to compile
time piling up.

IMHO, __uXX should be replaced by uintX_t, but a move this great I
will leave to future generations because there is just too much
persisting opinions wrt. such proposal. As such I'd like to join
and persist on my position and that uintX that we have should be kept.

We *CAN'T* replace __uXX with uintX_t. Period, full stop, end of story. It isn't possible to do universally, and doing it non-universally is just silly. Nor is it likely that this adds anything to the compile time, since most realistic programs will have a dependency on <linux/types.h> through some indirect path.

Now, I have to say I'd personally would prefer if make headers_install did this transformation mechanically for the common integer types, instead of requiring it to have the source code formatted in a specific fashion.

-hpa