Re: ATA support for 4k sector size

From: Martin K. Petersen
Date: Wed Feb 25 2009 - 22:24:40 EST

>>>>> "Matthew" == Matthew Wilcox <matthew@xxxxxx> writes:

Matthew> Lowest aligned logical block address=0

Matthew> This disagrees with Martin's assertion.

The original roadmap was to transition to 4KB sectors in 2006,
coinciding with the Vista release.

Given how long this has taken (we're now talking ~2011 for GA) it may
very well be that the alignment knobs will be unused because everybody
will be using Vista or 7 by then.

That doesn't change the RAID array alignment problem, however. And we
need to prepare our partitioning tools to align correctly regardless.

--
Martin K. Petersen Oracle Linux Engineering