Re: Linux 2.6.29-rc6

From: Jesper Krogh
Date: Thu Feb 26 2009 - 14:32:02 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
Dave Olsen <dolsen@xxxxxxxx>,
Ryan Jackson <rjackson@xxxxxxxx>, David.Woodhouse@xxxxxxxxx, linux-mtd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Jesper Krogh wrote:

Booting up 2.6.29-rc6 gave me this one in dmesg...

[ 21.136149] ck804xrom ck804xrom_init_one(): Unable to register resource 0x00000000ff000000-0x00000000ffffffff - kernel bug?

Well, it _is_ a kernel bug, but it's in that stupid driver. It does everything wrong, including printing out a scary message.

I've seen that before.. (even reported it before). It just "slipped" into the cut'n'paste It was the following stuff that I intended to report.

[ 21.136269] WARNING: at arch/x86/mm/ioremap.c:208 __ioremap_caller+0x359/0x390()

This is a different, but related warning, since the driver is doing an ioremap across different resources. The warning is directly related to the fact that the resource wasn't actually valid to begin with.

What does "cat /proc/iomem" say?

http://krogh.cc/~jesper/iomem.txt

System is fully operational, but I didnt get it in 2.6.26.8 (most recent
kernel tried on this hardware).

The ioremap() warning is newish, and may be what made you notice the previous (just one-line) crappy warning.

Quite frankly, having looked at that horrible driver, I would seriously consider disabling it. Stuff like that should not be allowed to exist.

Being a "stupid" user, I pick the easy way to build a fresh kernel:
1) pick the distro .config
2) make oldconfig
3) Let the kernel load what it think it needs.
4) Report if I see and strange stuff (warnings / bugs / oops) or misbehaviour.

So I dont know if I need that driver for anything vital. Should I care? Or shouldn't it "just work"?

--
Jesper