Re: [patch 0/3] add rt_tgsigqueueinfo syscall [RESEND]

From: Roland McGrath
Date: Fri Feb 27 2009 - 21:44:58 EST

> With respect to the first point, it seems to me reasonably likely that
> there would be use cases where the receiving thread wants to know the
> thread ID of the sender -- especially when sender and receiver are in
> the same process.

But expecting si_pid to play that role is bizarre. It's never what any
POSIX-like program would do, both since POSIX says si_pid is a process ID,
and because there are no POSIX-like interfaces at all that use Linux TIDs
to refer to threads.

Wanting this only seems plausible within one process. In that case, sender
and recipient know they share memory. The normal thing to do (and what
POSIX applications will do) is to store that info somewhere pointed to by
the sigval.

Thanks,
Roland