Re: [patch 0/3] add rt_tgsigqueueinfo syscall [RESEND]

From: Michael Kerrisk
Date: Sat Feb 28 2009 - 03:46:47 EST

On 2/28/09, Roland McGrath <roland@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> With respect to the first point, it seems to me reasonably likely that
>> there would be use cases where the receiving thread wants to know the
>> thread ID of the sender -- especially when sender and receiver are in
>> the same process.
>
> But expecting si_pid to play that role is bizarre.

Oh -- I wasn't suggeting that si_pid do that task; I was instead
wondering if we needed an additional si_threadid field (or some such).

> It's never what any
> POSIX-like program would do, both since POSIX says si_pid is a process ID,
> and because there are no POSIX-like interfaces at all that use Linux TIDs
> to refer to threads.

(Nod.)

> Wanting this only seems plausible within one process.

We are in agreement.

> In that case, sender
> and recipient know they share memory. The normal thing to do (and what
> POSIX applications will do) is to store that info somewhere pointed to by
> the sigval.

Good point. That would be another of dealing with point I wondered
about, and probably better than my idea.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git