Re: lockdep and threaded IRQs (was: ...)

From: David Brownell
Date: Sat Feb 28 2009 - 15:02:49 EST

On Saturday 28 February 2009, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> > > So this would be the perfect candidate to test the generic threaded
> > > code I posted a few days ago ?
> >
> > Could be.  URL?
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/2/26/146

Quick report:

- patch 2/4 didn't apply, mainline uses GFP_ATOMIC in that
memory allocation not GFP_KERNEL; obvious fix.

- patch 4/4 also didn't apply, 5/15 hunks failed ... looks
like IRQ affinity stuff. free_irq() changes need rework,
the others look to have obvious fixes.

Got a version that applies to mainline GIT?

At a quick glance it looks like these patches don't cover
set_irq_chained_handler(), which would be trouble since
__setup_irq() doesn't get called in those cases.

They should however handle simpler cases, like I2C devices
that only expose one IRQ instead of needing to demux several
dozen IRQs going to different drivers and subsystems.

And, not touching lockdep, the original ugliness will still
be needed (re-enabling IRQs in threaded handlers).

- Dave