Re: brk patches..

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Sun Mar 01 2009 - 20:16:50 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
If the brk is bounded-size on the same order or smaller as the kernel,
we should just mark it as an unallocated (bss) section in the ELF image
and be done with it... there really is no point in trying to be smarter
(we'd be subject to failures to load the kernel proper.) If the brk is
significantly bigger, then yes, we need to be smarter. However, that is
not my current understanding of the requirements.

Yes, right. And in my case I actually need it to generate an appropriate e820 table, so adding a dependency on e820 would be circular...

(To be specific: I reshape the guest e820 table so that it doesn't have memory in any forbidden areas of the host e820 table. That may require moving the pseudo-physical address of pages into a new overflow e820 entry, which would also require allocating pages for the p2m radix tree.)