Re: lockdep and threaded IRQs (was: ...)

From: David Brownell
Date: Mon Mar 02 2009 - 17:41:18 EST

On Monday 02 March 2009, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> I state that every !IRQF_DISABLED usage is a bug, either
> due to broken hardware or broken drivers.

That's a novel position. You do realize that removing that
capability breaks drivers?

But if that's what is keeping you from fixing the lockdep bug,
why haven't you submitted patches to remove IRQF_DISABLED from
the kernel, and update all the drivers relying on IRQs being
enabled when their handlers run?

At least that would get the appropriate level of discussion.

- Dave