Re: Elaboration on "Equivalent fix must already exist in Linus'tree"

From: Greg KH
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 01:28:24 EST

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 09:43:26PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> While extending the documentation for submitting Linux wireless bug
> reports [1] we note the stable series policy on patches -- that of
> having an equivalent fix already in Linus' tree. I find this
> documented in Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt but I'm curious if
> there is any other resource which documents this or elaborates on this
> a bit more.

Simple is better, do you really want a longer version of that same file?

Is there something confusing in it?

And as always, a simple:
Cc: stable <stable@xxxxxxxxxx>
in the patch itself is the easiest way to get it automatically included
in the next -stable releases after it hits Linus's tree.

What more do people want? Personal invitations?

Is it time to break out the caligraphy pens and wax seals?

thanks,

greg k-h