ext3 duplicate entries with readdir

From: Andries E. Brouwer
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 15:33:44 EST

In a largish directory (21292 files) a scan using ext3 readdir
found 21293 files, returning one entry twice.

Google "ext3 readdir twice" gives me a handful of identical complaints.
I see reports from 2002-2008.
So, this is an old and well-known symptom but seemingly still not fixed,
at least not in the kernel on this machine here.
This report is for Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) with kernel 2.6.24.5.

A 2002 post says "This is unfortunate, but the chances of our hitting
this failure are relatively small".

In http://www.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2008-August/msg00009.html
tytso seems to understand what happens: a hash collision.
But has this been fixed in the current tree?

Andries

Thomas Trauner gave a test program. It prints
expected 25989 files, but readdir reports 25990

So, yes, this is reproducible.