drop_caches ...

From: Markus
Date: Wed Mar 04 2009 - 04:57:45 EST

Hello!

I have a small problem. Maybe its just a misunderstanding but I cant
solve it.

I think that writing "3" to drop_caches should drop all buffers and
caches which are already written. So its recommended to put a "sync"
infront of it.
So I did "free -m ; sync ; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches ; free -m"
And it gave me:
total used free shared buffers
cached
Mem: 3950 3922 28 0 1
879
-/+ buffers/cache: 3041 909
Swap: 5342 205 5136
total used free shared buffers
cached
Mem: 3950 3907 43 0 0
864
-/+ buffers/cache: 3041 908
Swap: 5341 206 5135

So the buffer was 1 and is 0 afterthat. But cached is at 879 MB before
and is still 864 MB (!!!) after that!

I am at swappiness=0 and when I remove and readd one swap-partition
after another (so there is always swap). It will keep the cached and
put the swapped memory on other swaps?!

I _think_ thats not the way it should go?

It would be really kind if someone could explain that issue and
what "cached" is at all!

Have a nice day...
Markus

PS: Please CC me as I am not subscribed.