Re: drop_caches ...

From: Markus
Date: Wed Mar 04 2009 - 05:32:18 EST

Hello Fengguang!

> Hi Markus,
>
> On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 10:57:33AM +0100, Markus wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I have a small problem. Maybe its just a misunderstanding but I cant
> > solve it.
> >
> > I think that writing "3" to drop_caches should drop all buffers and
> > caches which are already written. So its recommended to put a "sync"
> > infront of it.
> > So I did "free -m ; sync ; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches ;
free -m"
> > And it gave me:
> > total used free shared buffers
> > cached
> > Mem: 3950 3922 28 0 1
> > 879
> > -/+ buffers/cache: 3041 909
> > Swap: 5342 205 5136
> > total used free shared buffers
> > cached
> > Mem: 3950 3907 43 0 0
> > 864
> > -/+ buffers/cache: 3041 908
> > Swap: 5341 206 5135
> >
> > So the buffer was 1 and is 0 afterthat. But cached is at 879 MB
before
> > and is still 864 MB (!!!) after that!
> >
> > I am at swappiness=0 and when I remove and readd one swap-partition
> > after another (so there is always swap). It will keep the cached and
> > put the swapped memory on other swaps?!
> >
> > I _think_ thats not the way it should go?
> >
> > It would be really kind if someone could explain that issue and
> > what "cached" is at all!
>
> The memory mapped pages won't be dropped in this way.
> "cat /proc/meminfo" will show you the number of mapped pages.

# sync ; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches ; free -m ; cat /proc/meminfo
total used free shared buffers
cached
Mem: 3950 3262 688 0 0
359
-/+ buffers/cache: 2902 1047
Swap: 5890 1509 4381
MemTotal: 4045500 kB
MemFree: 705180 kB
Buffers: 508 kB
Cached: 367748 kB
SwapCached: 880744 kB
Active: 1555032 kB
Inactive: 1634868 kB
Active(anon): 1527100 kB
Inactive(anon): 1607328 kB
Active(file): 27932 kB
Inactive(file): 27540 kB
Unevictable: 816 kB
Mlocked: 0 kB
SwapTotal: 6032344 kB
SwapFree: 4486496 kB
Dirty: 0 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 2378112 kB
Mapped: 52196 kB
Slab: 65640 kB
SReclaimable: 46192 kB
SUnreclaim: 19448 kB
PageTables: 28200 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 8055092 kB
Committed_AS: 4915636 kB
VmallocTotal: 34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed: 44580 kB
VmallocChunk: 34359677239 kB
DirectMap4k: 3182528 kB
DirectMap2M: 1011712 kB

The cached reduced to 359 MB (after the dropping).
I dont know where to read the "number of mapped pages".
"Mapped" is about 51 MB.

thanks in advance

Markus