Re: [patch 2/2] lockdep: initialize lockdep debugging statistics

From: David Rientjes
Date: Fri Mar 06 2009 - 04:57:03 EST

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> I'm a bit slow, please use more words and explain this to me.
>
> Before replying please read:
>
> ea435467500612636f8f4fb639ff6e76b2496e4b
>
> and stare at the output of:
>
> git grep "define[ \t]*ATOMIC_INIT\>"

Peter, this is purely a matter of good software engineering practices. I
hadn't realized you were so passionate about avoiding initialization of
global atomic_t variables, even though it usually suffices.

I assume you wouldn't object to removing all such cases in the kernel.

$ grep -r "atomic_t.*= ATOMIC_INIT(0)" * | wc -l
104

Unless David Miller has any input, I'll happily defer to your
maintainership of lockdep in this matter. Thanks for looking at the
patch.