Re: Regression - locking (all from 2.6.28)

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Fri Mar 06 2009 - 11:53:10 EST

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 16:40 +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> It seems that node_start_pfn() isn't present on all the architectures. I
> ended up with something like below:
>
> + /* struct page scanning for each node */
> + for_each_online_node(i) {
> + pg_data_t *pgdat = NODE_DATA(i);
> + unsigned long start_pfn = pgdat->node_start_pfn;
> + unsigned long end_pfn = start_pfn +
> + pgdat->node_spanned_pages - 1;
> + unsigned long pfn;
> +
> + for (pfn = start_pfn; pfn < end_pfn; pfn++) {
> + struct page *page;
> +
> + if (!pfn_valid(pfn))
> + continue;
> + page = pfn_to_page(pfn);
> + /* only scan if page is in use */
> + if (page_count(page) == 0)
> + continue;
> + scan_block(page, page + 1, NULL);
> + }
> + }

What does scan_block() actually scan? Is that second argument
inclusive?

I think you will miss scanning the contents of the last 'struct page' if
you do it this way because of the -1 you do to end_pfn.

> Are the pgdat->node_start_pfn and pgdat->node_spanned_pages always
> valid? Thanks.

The variables themselves? I'm sure there's a window in early boot where
they aren't valid, but other than that they should be OK unless you're
int the middle of a hotplug operation.

See pgdat_resize_(un)lock() in include/linux/memory_hotplug.h.

-- Dave